Monday, December 10, 2012

Weekend Update

By Frank Anthony Polito

Once again, I've fallen behind in blogging. Had a busy weekend, with two different pals in town, my best friend since 7th grade, Grat -- whom many of you will know as "Brad Dayton" from Band Fags! and Drama Queers! (note: Grat has requested that I go on the record and state that he has NEVER performed in drag at Gigi's or any other Detroit bar), and my friend Devon, a fellow playwright whom (yes, I said whom!) I met in 2005 at Voice and Vision, who lives in Richmond, VA.

I enjoyed two lovely dinners with Grat, his partner Michael, and their friends, who were in town to celebrate Michael's birthday. Devon and I kept it pretty low-key. Grabbed burgers and beer at my neighborhood Irish Pub, Molly Bloom's (dang it, I should have taken pics!) and then sat around my place listening to some tunes by our mutual favorite band, Carbon Leaf.


CL, as we like to call the boys, are a local Richmond act who Devon has the actual pleasure of knowing, and we both have crushes on the lead singer, Barry Privett. I came to know CL back in 2002 while I was down in Washington, DC working at the Shakespeare Theatre, and when I met Devon and learned she was from Richmond, one of the first things I asked her was: "Do you know Carbon Leaf?"

Barry, Carter, Terry, Jordan, Scott

Admittedly, I've been a bad fan and haven't picked up any of new CL music since round about 2010. So Devon played me some of the newer stuff, reminding me why I first got into them. At first listen, they reminded me of an old favorite band from Canada, Spirit of the West, as both bands have roots in the "Celtic Rock" genre. Check out Carbon Leaf online HERE. And Spirit of the West HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will NOT appear immediately and are subject to moderator's approval. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...