Monday, November 26, 2012

And The Winner is...

By Frank Anthony Polito


So I spent the rest of my holiday weekend “finishing” up the first draft of my new novel, THE SPIRIT OF DETROIT, as part of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). I put the word “finish” in quotes because the goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words of a new novel between 11/1-30, which I’ve done – but the book is only about halfway finished.

I actually went back last night and revised my outline, cutting out a huge chunk of events that would have put the book at 500 pages, I’m sure, had I continued writing the entire outline. For some reason this new one is running long. I usually average chapters around 10-12 pages. In SOD, they come in between 15-17.

It’s been a great experience just “cranking out” a story. Usually I will write a chapter, print it out, edit on paper, then type up the revisions. I usually average about a chapter/week. This time around I was writing an entire chapter in a day or two. There’s something to be said for self-censoring.

You can read more about the new novel HERE.


 And congrats to my NaNoWriBMo writing “buddies” Ryan in San Jose and Peter in Seattle for “winning” as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will NOT appear immediately and are subject to moderator's approval. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...